The Episcopal Church in Athens Since 1842
Trinity was established in 1842 by a group which began meeting at the Athens Academy. A wooden church was built on Chemung Street in 1847, which was destroyed by fire in 1851. The congregation met at the Academy again for several years. The present native stone structure was built in 1860. The church was incorporated the following year, when the bell tower was added. The bell was first rung on Christmas Eve, 1863.
Trinity Today is a family church; the Congregation is warm and friendly. Visitors often say that attending Trinity is like coming home.
The center of our community at Trinity is Jesus Christ, so our focal point is the Holy Eucharist. Our worship is taken from The Book of Common Prayer, and includes readings from the Word of God, Prayers for all people and the Holy Eucharist, or Holy Communion. Episcopal worship and theology is based on Scripture, Tradition and Reason.
Daniel Z. Gerhart, Senior Warden
Nathan Schwartzberg, Junior Warden
Margaret Gerhart, Clerk
Laura Cama, Treasurer
Marie Bubniak, Outreach
The Rev. Benjamin Lee Lentz, Long-term Supply
Joseph Barber, Organist
Barbara Cameron Caum, Parish Administrator